I’m a pretty avid reader, and I always try to get my hands on as many books as possible. Some I devour, some I couldn’t wait to finish reading (and not always in a good way). I can’t really tell you how many books and stories I’ve read, but I can tell you what habits I’ve developed along the years. :)
- During the boring classes in school, I would place a book on my lap and read a bit when the teacher wasn’t looking. Sometimes I would also hide a paperback inside the classics they required us to read and pretend to be completely engrossed, while in actuality I would be happily devouring my novel. I only got caught once, and that’s when a girl snitched on me. Mean. =[
- I never read the ending first. Ever. Actually I'm baffled as to why some people would do that. Books are made in a particular order - beginning, middle and end - for a reason. Sure there are some books that start at the end, but then that's how it meant to be. I just think a novel should be read according to the intended order.
- I don't like to read more than one book at the same time. It makes me feel as if I'm not giving a book all the attention it deserves. Even if it takes me months to finish a book, I will keep at it before moving on to another one.
- I will always read every book to the end no matter how much I hate it and regardless how boring and horrible I think it is. In my whole life I've only quit reading two books, and that's because they were filled with sexual content and I was tired of skipping parts every few pages.
- I will always try to read the book before watching its movie adaptation. In most cases the books are better, and I like to be informed about the plot and the actual story so I can judge if the adaptation is true to the original thing.
- I don't like to start novels I really want to read when I know I won't have enough time to read it. For example, there's a book on my shelf titled The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers, and I really want to read it. However, it's a big book and I fear I might be unable to read it in the way that befits it due to my complete lack of time.
- I can read in places like the bathroom, but I can't read while on the move. I end up feeling nauseous, if not distracted by all the passing sights.
- After reading a book with heavy material (tragedies, murder, psychological issues, etc), I like to take a break and indulge in a light-hearted novel or even a children's book. These books I typically "eat up", but I take my time reading other types of novels. Recently I finished reading Sophie Kinsella's I've Got Your Number in a few hours. Fantastic novel!
Well that's me. =] Can you relate to any of those? Do you have any habits or quirks of your own?