I’ve been waiting for this month for quite some time, it being the tenth month and all that. October is my favourite month of the whole year, and that’s not only because it’s my birthday month. ;) Why do I like October? Here are some of the reasons:
1. It marks the start of Autumn. No more stickiness and humidity and hot weather. Just cool breezes and yellowing leaves and overall a much, much nicer weather.
2. It’s the time to break out cool jackets and comfy plush robes and fuzzy slippers, and bundle up in warm blankets without worrying about waking up in a sweaty mess in the morning… especially if you, like me, cannot sleep without blankets.
3. It’s all about those warm browns and dark colours, which hide those few extra pounds one might’ve gained over summer quite perfectly, if you ask me. Besides, winter clothes are usually bulky. If anyone says that you gained weight, you could just blame it on clothes!
4. It’s my birthday. Come on! Of course I’m going to love my birthday month, haha.
5. Soups and hot drinks! I tend to avoid these during summer unless I have an air conditioner in the room. I like to enjoy my food and don’t wish to spend half of my time fanning myself. It’s time for bringing out the Hot Chocolate*and marshmallows!
6. The anticipation of NaNoWriMo and new novels. Enough time to build up steam and work the details of my story in my head. I’m pretty excited about this year!
7. Halloween! While it is true that Halloween is not celebrated where I live, I still love the idea of it. It all sounds so fun, and there’s lots of candy, so what’s not to love? I get a little taste of it through the good (and sometimes cheesy) Halloween movies, and occasionally the Halloween candy that somehow sneaks its way into our department stores. =D
8. There are some great movies are going to be released this month. Anyone looking forward to Cloud Atlas or Frankenweenie?
9. Some people say they’ll miss the ice-cream of summer, but really, who says you can’t have it in winter? You could have it alone or along with some hot desserts such as pancakes or chocolate fondant. Yum.
10. Roasted chestnuts! These are going to be in season soon, and they’re absolutely delicious when you roast them over the fireplace.
11. Autumn weather feels like perfect reading weather. When it’s raining and you don’t have anywhere to go, the perfect activity would be to settle comfortably with a good book. =]
12. Baking! During summer we mostly crave cold desserts involving whipped cream and fresh fruits, but with autumn rolling in, we can go back to baking fresh bread and rich cakes without worrying about the kitchen getting too stuffy.
What is your favourite month and why? Do you like October? If not, tell me why? I might be able to change your mind!
* This is not a grammatical mistake on my part. When you don’t capitalize it, you’re simply using “hot” as an adjective; i.e. this chocolate drink is hot. But once it cools down, you can no longer apply the “hot” adjective to it, and the drink is no longer what it is. By making it a proper noun, Hot Chocolate, you can now refer to it using that name even after it cools down. In other words, we’ll be able to say that the Hot Chocolate has now cooled down. But I’m probably overthinking it, haha.