I wanted to get this post out around the 1st of January, but unfortunately – owing to the fact that my I spent most of the first few days of 2014 suffering from a reoccurring bout of blindness and a break from all readable words – I couldn’t. Anyway, 2013 was quite productive reading-wise, but I’m ashamed to admit that I did not stick to all the reader’s resolutions I set for myself.
- I did read 40 books! But it was a very close call. I almost did not make it!
- I read one classic – Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I’d always read the abridged version and only got around to the full one now.
- I read children novels and loved 3 out of 4 of them… though admittedly one was a short story and another was so morbid I almost feel wrong classifying it as a children novel.
- I did not stop reading any books… but god did I want to, especially when I was dragging myself through an 841-page one.
- I did write a review for every book I read! 40 reviews in total – wewt.
Where did I fail?
- I only read two indie novels this year, and I’m really disappointed in myself for not reading more.
- I failed miserably when it came to cutting down on paperback expenses. I’m almost horrified to think of the number of books I bought this year!
- I’m ashamed to admit that I allowed myself to be tricked by pretty covers and glowing reviews. I don’t think I will ever learn. =[
I’m going to attempt to stick to all my previous resolutions again this year, though instead of 40 books, I’m going to be reading 50! So if you’ve got any recommendations, do please throw them at me!
So what did I read in 2013? Well, last year I categorized my books by favourites, most disappointing, most hated, etc, so this year I’m going to categorize them by number of stars awarded. However, I will say that my absolute favourite read of 2013 is The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairy Land in a Ship of her own Making (god it’s a mouthful) and The Final Empire came close, but ultimately it just snatched the title from beneath them.
Click for captions!
What was your favourite book in 2013? How many books are you planning to read in 2014? Do any of my ratings clash/coincide with yours? Let me know! =D