It’s been a year, but the best month has finally rolled around. Of course I’m a bit biased. Okay, very biased, but my birthday month trumps all. Around this time of year I list down reasons to try and convince you of the glory that is October. I’ll be doing that again this time, only… I have one more reason to celebrate.
You see, on the 18th of October, I will have made it through my first year of living here in Dubai, by myself, completely independently. This is a huge milestone. One of the biggest in my life. Many thought I couldn’t do it, that I’ll cave and go back to the shelter of my parents’ home in a few months, but… here we are. I don’t have everything figured out yet, but I feel genuinely proud that I’ve managed to come this far. Despite all the hardships and the struggles, I’m happy.
Now that we’ve got all the mushy stuff out of the way, let’s get on to the list. I know everybody likes a list.
1. FALL. In Dubai we don’t get to experience all the lovely colours of autumn, but the temperatures have definitely dipped. On my way to work the other day I actually enjoyed the littlest of cool breezes and didn’t arrive to the office in a melting mess.
2. Sweater weather! I love cozy clothes, though I don’t get to wear them often here. But it gets cool enough in the evenings that I can actually wrap myself up in a soft plush blanket without feeling like I’m punishing myself.
3. All the Halloween candy. This holiday is sadly not widely celebrated here; however, stores make it a point to stock up on all kinds of candy for the occasion, and you bet I’m going to take advantage of that and stuff my face. What. Don’t judge me.
4. All the Halloween movies and episodes! While I’m not big on horror movies, I love a good, old-fashioned Halloween episode. They’re so much fun to watch, and you get a lot of classics playing over and over on TV.
5. Baking! You can afford to stand in the kitchen now with a hot oven, and you can bake to your heart’s content – cookies, cakes, brownies, bread! Nothing beats the smell of something sweet slowly cooking away in the oven.
6. Warm drinks and books. Crack open the tin of cocoa powder and make yourself some Hot Chocolate. Settle down on your favourite seat and open that book. Enjoy. Bonus points if it’s raining gently outside and the droplets are trickling down your window.
7. And of course, my birthday, because it really bears repeating. >.>
Do you like October? Or do you have another favourite month? Tell me why! 🙂